Saturday, March 24, 2012

Kayaking with manatees

Great Egret on the lookout for idle manatees. 

No manatees over here. 

Monday I finally took a kayak out to Bair's Cove boat ramp, the notorious manatee hangout. Those manatees are a brassy  bunch, they just swim right up to you and shove your kayak around like they own the place. I believe there was some, ahem, bedroom activity going on, which is why they were so active this morning. There was a lot of twisting and possibly some shouting going on by the looks of it.

Barbara Manatee (manatee, manatee) / You are the one for me (one for me, one for me) / Sent from up above (a manatee from heaven) / You are the one I love

Yes, that is a Veggie Tales song, sung by Larry the Cucumber.  It gets stuck in my head every time I see a manatee, which is not as often as I would like. 

I've got your nose!
Manatees can hold their breath for up to 20 minutes (according to myfwc.com) but typically surface to breathe noisily every 3 to 5 minutes. 


To see my video of some manatee action, click here:




Manatee poo floats. And is very smelly. (Max, this picture is for you). 

Manatees can grow to be up to 12 feet long, and I think I may have seen a few that were indeed that large. It's a bit disconcerting to see the real big guys floating around passively under your kayak and then realizing that, if they decided to get at all frisky, you would be taking a dip. But then you could say that you were attacked by a manatee, so it'd probably be worth it.


I'm going that-a-way

If I was a Brown Pelican I'd stand on that rock too. 

Sing a joyful noise, all ye pelicans! 



No comments:

Post a Comment