Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dave Shealy's Gorilla Supplier

I suppose that's inaccurate, because I don't know for sure that Dave got his gorilla here, but if you've ever wanted a giant concrete gorilla just like the one outside of the Skunk Ape Research Headquarters in Ochopee Florida (and I know I have), then I know where you can get one: Bethune, South Carolina, conveniently located just 7 miles from McBee, South Carolina, which is not conveniently located near anywhere.

If you ever happen to journey to Ochopee FL, the Skunk Ape Research Headquarters are a must. I can honestly say that conversing with Dave Shealy was one of the more interesting conversations I've had, and I've had some pretty interesting conversations. If you've ever talked with my little brother or my friends Max, Patrick, or Meghan, you'll know what I mean. Also, let me just mention that I'm the only one who actually talked with Dave Shealy, as Meghan and Patrick were both suddenly attacked by the shy bug, the poops. Yes Meghan and Patrick, I just called you both poops. On the internet, where it never goes away. So HA.

The Skunk Ape website:
http://www.skunkape.info/


Bethune, South Carolina

Ochopee, Florida
(the one in the middle is the gorilla)

Outside the Skunk Ape Research Headquarters
(and campground, reptile and bird exhibit, $5 per person, 5 and under free).


Not a Skunk Ape, but we love it anyway.


The place to get your very own genuine concrete products, including gorillas, giraffes, giant roosters, fish, bears, elephants, pigs, palm trees, and an intriguing variety of fountains and statues. Not sure if they ship, but I could be convinced to rent a UHaul and drive your concrete giant rooster to you (in the continental US, of course). 


They also have giant giraffes, like the one I saw on the side of the highway at a fireworks store near Pioneer, Tennessee. And giant roosters, and a hugging Jesus, and palm trees, and a lighthouse, pretty much anything you could want made out of concrete. If they don't have it you don't want it!

I know what I'm putting on my Christmas list this year: giant concrete rooster.
It'd look lovely in our garden at home, don't you think Mom?
Bethune Pottery. I like the giant roosters (they have more than one out front, in different colors) and the Jesus under the palm tree. 

Outside a fireworks store off I-75 in Pioneer, Tennessee. They don't have pink elephants at Bethune Pottery, but they did have grey ones.
I took this photo on a road trip in early 2010, when my trusty road-tripping companion and I drove from Ohio to Colorado via the Florida Keys.  It was a long drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment