Monday, April 9, 2012

Merritt Island: Heart and Soul

Part of my soul lives in the mountains. The steepness, the rough and smooth edges, peaks sharp or rounded, a barren summit or a wooded grove on the hillsides, the view, and the breath of fresh air that carries a special taste of true nature. I feel free of the weights I wrap around myself, the ones I didn't realize were there.

"Mountains inspire awe in any human person who has a soul. They remind us of our frailty, our unimportance, of the briefness of our span upon this earth. They touch the heavens, and sail serenely at an altitude beyond even the imaginings of a mere mortal... They are cruel, dangerous, and possessed of a beauty one can never grow weary of." 
~ Elizabeth Ason, from The Exploits and Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy

Part of my soul lives in the desert, in the barren rock. When I look out into the wide-open space and gaze at a rock tower rising up into the sky, I just am. Everything is quiet, and I'm just there. The starkness absorbs all the internal moaning and rattling, and all that's left is the rock, the dirt, the sun, the endless sky.

Gopher Tortoise, Merritt Island NWR 2012



These places speak to me, resonate with me deep inside, and I feel a special sense of completeness when I am there. They feel right, like walking around your childhood home in the middle of the night. You know the exact number of steps without counting, the placement of each table and chair, so that even in the dark you can find your way without tripping. My soul can live in the mountains without tripping all over itself in confusion. Sometimes I feel that I am laying on the floor in the dark, waiting for someone to turn the light on and notice me, quietly moaning. I tend to feel that way most often when I'm stuck in boring, flat places, probably because I find it easier to have adventures when I'm in the desert or the mountains.


When I was heading down to Florida and Merritt Island, I was not particularly looking forward to my time there. Florida is flat, hot, buggy, boring. Coming from a cross-county road trip, camping in Utah and Wyoming and rock climbing in Colorado, Florida was not where I wanted to be heading. And, well, I found that Florida is flat, hot, buggy, and boring. But, to my surprise, I loved it anyway.


Roseate Spoonbill and Snowy Egret

Heading into the sunrise to look for Scrub Jays


I leave bits of my heart everywhere, tucked in with the people and places I go. Quite a bit of my heart is in Ohio, but there are pieces in other states and countries too, in places I have and have not been, in places only seen by those I love.


White Pelicans


Black-necked Stilt



Playalinda Beach, Canaveral National Seashore


And part of my heart is at Merritt Island. There are some places you stay and you know you are home, even if it's just for a short while. This is one of them. No matter where I travel, I will always remember that place, that time, those people. Especially those people :)

Me, Betty, and Connie (refuge volunteers) after kayaking with dolphins and manatees at Merritt Island NWR

Meghan and Angie kayaking at Blue Springs State Park





Patrick. Blue Springs State Park

Patrick and I are expert kayakers, can't you tell? Blue Springs State Park

No comments:

Post a Comment